[wp-hackers] Auto shutoff comments to be shut off?

Carthik Sharma carthik at gmail.com
Mon Mar 7 17:46:36 GMT 2005

I beleive the auto shutoff comments plugin is evil - no less.

To quote:
It's pretty easy to put this into a plugin that runs every time the
database is changed, so that we don't need a cronjob.

From: http://wiki.wordpress.org/Auto%20shutoff%20comments

It is nothing short of treachery to do the update each time there is a
new post, or comment, or whatever else. The plugin says:
add_action('publish_post', 'autoclose_comments', 7);
add_action('edit_post', 'autoclose_comments', 7);
add_action('delete_post', 'autoclose_comments', 7);
add_action('comment_post', 'autoclose_comments', 7);
add_action('trackback_post', 'autoclose_comments', 7);
add_action('pingback_post', 'autoclose_comments', 7);
add_action('edit_comment', 'autoclose_comments', 7);
add_action('delete_comment', 'autoclose_comments', 7);
add_action('template_save', 'autoclose_comments', 7

All this, to avoid having a simple cron job!

I am removing references to this plugin from the Codex Plugins page
until someone comes up with a more responsible way of doing this.
Could this be a culprit behind some recently reported mysql problems
for some users?

Carthik.

--
When nothing is done, nothing is left undone -- 老子 Lǎozi

University of Central Florida
Homepage: http://carthik.net