[wp-hackers] Problems ?

Matthew Mullenweg m at mullenweg.com
Mon Mar 7 10:34:09 GMT 2005

Podz wrote:
> With respect Matt, that thread does need answers and forum helpers also
> need something to point people at.

I just listed a few things that can be told to them but I did forget one:

* Disable all plugins

Some plugins have really bad queries and code that I could see causing a
high load on a server with moderate traffic.

> I have not the slightest doubt that if an A-list blogger posted here
> saying that their blog was acting in the same way, there would be people
> tripping over themselves to post / offer help / debug / and everything
> else.

None of the accounts I looked at were for A-list bloggers.

> If this is referer DOS, then maybe 1.5.1 should have drdave's RK in it ?

The same RK that blocked everyone from visiting Blogging Pro from the WP
Dashboard? Integrating something like that would be unecessary bloat and
would likely cause more support problems than it would solve. RK's
strategy of opening up and parsing the referring page could also slow
things down a lot too if hit with a lot of unknown hosts.

> The problem will get worse and while we can say "Get a better host" that
> does not help forum posts - posts which are read by people who may be
> debating coming to WP.

Maybe "get a better host" isn't the best way to phrase it, something
like "I get 5x more traffic and have never had a problem on X" or "Your
host could fix that" or "There are tens of thousands of WP blogs, only
blogs on your host have reported any problems."

> I really do think that unless this is addressed very clearly and in
> public that it will bite the collective WP ass.

Perhaps it's time to make a page of "known good hosts" on wordpress.org.
I can think of 2-3 that we have a relationship with and could function
as a advocacy partner. (Eg, they shut down your site they have to
explain why to us or they get taken off the site.)

--
Matt Mullenweg
http://pingomatic.com | http://cnet.com