[wp-hackers] Multiple Enclosures, detecting enclosures

Robert Deaton false.hopes at gmail.com
Thu Jul 28 18:29:11 GMT 2005

iTunes is by far, the best and the worst thing to happen to
podcasting. Its the best in the sense that its raising public
awareness of podcasting, but the worst in the way that it handles
podcasts. So, to be frank, iTunes is broken.

As for detecting based on headers, I would stand by this as being the
best way because servers are supposed to send the right headers, and
its hard to account for all possible media types and all the different
ways servers may be broken. Honestly, if your server isn't sending the
right headers for simple media types like mp3, you're damn lucky its
up and running at all.

On 7/28/05, Chris Lott <chris.lott at gmail.com> wrote:
> Is the way that Wordpress creates multiple enclosures in its RSS feed
> (for example, multiple mp3 files using multiple custom fields with the
> "enclosure" key) non-standard or is Apple iTunes broken? I see the
> multiple enclosures in the feed when I examine it, but iTunes sees
> only the first one.
>
> I also find the "automatic enclosure" detection based on the headers
> to be unreliable at best. I'm sure there are technical reasons that
> this is a better way than just (or also) using the file extension for
> known media types? Could that be an option? That would also enable WP
> users to podcast using ourmedia.org storage, which apparently doesn't
> send the proper headers... as most sites don't seem to!

> --
> Chris Lott

--Robert Deaton
http://somethingunpredictable.com