[wp-hackers] Plugin Readmes

Jonathan Leighton turnip at turnipspatch.com
Thu Jul 21 12:51:07 GMT 2005

Firas D. wrote:

> Jonathan Leighton wrote:
>
>> In fact, ignore that, it's already there is the form of "Plugin URI:
>> ..."
>>
>> What advantage does a readme.txt have over a simple URI to documentation
>> in whatever form it is in?
>>
>> Jon
>>

> It's the difference between https://addons.mozilla.org and a simple
> list of items.
>
> Here's my current issue: i want lots and lots of tags <-> plugin
> relationships to start building the relationship matching engine for
> the directory. The readme.txt type thing I pointed to has a parsable,
> semi-standard way of showing that. How else would I get this info, ask
> dozens of plugin authors to make me an xml file with a <tags> element?

I think a better way would a extra "Tags: ..." value in the plugin
definition comment type thing. It wouldn't need an extra file, is
backwards compatible (I've tested it and nothing breaks by adding extra
values), and could be added to the core for the next version. What's
wrong with that?

Jon

--
Jonathan Leighton aka. Turnip