[wp-hackers] Plugin Readmes

Jonathan Leighton turnip at turnipspatch.com
Thu Jul 21 12:04:58 GMT 2005

Firas D. wrote:

> Denis de Bernardy wrote:
>
>> Just curious... Why not catch the page where the plugin's official
>> page via
>> RSS?
>>
>> That way, it is structured properly, can be formatted otherwise, the
>> documentation is synchonized, and there is even a direct link to the
>> comments.
>>
>> D.
>>
> Someone wants to put their plugin docs in the trac wiki. Someone wants
> to put it in a fancy WP page with a continuous RSS feed. Someone else
> may want to put it in mediawiki. I've put my plugin pages in straight
> html.
>
> There are a gazillion ways to expose information about a plugin, all
> of which may be perused when you click through to the actual page
> you're directed to for further info about the plugin. I just want to
> make it easy for you to put your stuff in a directory without you
> having to get an account with the website and log in to describe it
> and notify of updates (which is how wp-plugins.net currently
> works)--the plan is to sync with descriptive files in your
> webspace/repository/etc, and with some consistency across items. I
> could just ask for an xml file, but the markdowned text file idea Matt
> came up with a while ago just seems more sound.

Why not have an extra "Documentation: ..." value in the descriptive
comment each plugin has. That can hold the URI of some documentation and
people can write fancy parsers to pull it from WP-Plugins.org without
any problem...

I really don't see everybody who write a plugin also making a readme.txt
for it.

Jon

--
Jonathan Leighton aka. Turnip