[wp-hackers] Plugin Readmes

Jonathan Leighton turnip at turnipspatch.com
Thu Jul 21 11:10:20 GMT 2005

Matthew Mullenweg wrote:

> Firas D. wrote:
>
>> The expectation is (a) there's a file in /trunk/ called readme.txt,
>> (b) It's formatted like
>> <http://dev.wp-plugins.org/file/staticize-reloaded/trunk/readme.txt>
>

> Before anyone implements something, it would be a good time to discuss
> improvements and intentions of that format. Right now Contributors is
> expected to be forum usernames, for example.

Personally I don't like the readme.txt idea at all. Whenever I change
the wiki page for my plugin, I have to alter the readme.txt, and vice
versa. It's annoying and bound to cause problems with them going out of
sync. I'd much prefer that details about the plugin could just be pulled
from the comment stuff at the top and people used a wiki page for docs.
This has two advantages:

a) EVERY plugin has this comment -- it needs to in order to work
b) Wiki pages are FAR more formattable than a text file.

Jon

--
Jonathan Leighton aka. Turnip
http://turnipspatch.com/ | http://digital-proof.org/