[wp-hackers] Recent Comments Plugins.

Frederic de Villamil fdevillamil at gmail.com
Wed Jul 20 15:43:24 GMT 2005

Hi Podz, list,
I've just done such a benchmark on the application I'm developping at work,
and I've done it according to:
1/ time taken to execute the whole stuff (a page displaying in more than 1
second was automagically sent back to the developper).
2/ number of requests used by each page to display.
3/ the server load average for each page. Sometimes, bad joins can produce
incredibly high load on a mySQL server.
That's what I would take into account if I wanted to test all those plugins.

Maybe plugin developpers should also warn users above a certain number of
comments displayed. I'll have a look at those plugins SQL request to see if
nothing's wrong with them as soon as I'm home.

And don't fear to be yelled at just because you recommand a plugin for its
ability not to charge too much a server, I think it's just natural selection
process.
Regards
Frederic / neuro

On Wed, 20 Jul 2005 16:33:07 +0100, Podz wrote
> http://wordpress.org/support/topic/39637
> "DreamHost support: I've temporarily disabled your database because
> you are running a query that is hitting the database too hard."
>
> This is not the first time that we've had a "My host shut me down"
> post where a plugin is concerned. I'm sure I posted a while ago
> about this. Given that these plugins will be used, and that some
> sites state that they are a good thing to use as they can increase
> interaction (I'm the messanger here, okay), then can someone advise
> as to which are the bad guys ? These are the ones I could find right
> now:
>
> Name: Get Recent Comments
> http://wp-plugins.net/index.php?id=100
>
> Name: Recent Comments Grouped By Post
> http://wp-plugins.net/index.php?id=169
>
> Name: Fuzzy recent comments
> http://wp-plugins.net/index.php?id=236
>
> http://www.coffee2code.com/archives/2005/03/30/plugin-customizable-
> comment-listings/
>
> http://dev.wp-plugins.org/browser/recent-comments/
>
> http://meidell.dk/archives/2005/07/17/brians-latest-comments-152/
>
> The vast majority of people whose use these do so in good faith and
> although there will be users who do daft things like display the
> last 40 comments, and yes I know that some of these work differently
> to others, but those issues aside for the average user, which of
> these are the least likely to get a host shutting down a site ? Or
> do I install each one in turn, run 10 comments through them while
> using the Query Diagnostics plugin and then rank according to time
> taken ? I somehow think I'd get yelled at if I did that. Any and all
> advice would be great.
>
> P.

Frédéric de Villamil
Ce qui est à moi est à moi, ce qui est à toi ça se négocie. (proverbe motokiste)
http://www.eretzvaju.org