[wp-hackers] User Capabilities

Ryan Boren ryan at boren.nu
Wed Jul 13 20:22:03 GMT 2005

On Wed, 2005-07-13 at 14:51 -0500, Ryan Boren wrote:
> On Wed, 2005-07-13 at 14:44 -0500, Jason Bainbridge wrote:
> > However I noticed that some of the plugin menu item entries like Spam
> > Karma 2 under Options and Polaroidonizer under Dashboard no longer
> > display after going from changeset 2702 to 2706, but TextControl
> > Config & WP Plugin Mgr still appear under Options. Any ideas off the
> > top of your head on what would case that? If not I'll have a dig and
> > familiarise myself with more of the WP internals.
>
> SK2 install its option menu at level 7.  Alas, I only gave level 8 - 10
> to Administrators.  Admins need to have all levels included in their
> capability set.  I'll commit an update.  The roles field will need to be
> removed from your options DB so that upgrade.php create an updated role
> list.

http://trac.wordpress.org/changeset/2708

Try that on.  Delete the *user_roles field from the options DB and rerun
upgrade.php.

We probably need to add some code that merges new caps into existing
roles during upgrade.  This could be tricky since we don't want to
re-add caps that were purposefully removed.  We might have to snapshot
cap sets for each release and do some diffing.  We can think about that
later.  For now, a "remake the roles" flag could be handy for bringing
the roles up-to-date as we inevitably add caps over the course of 1.6
development.

Ryan