[wp-hackers] Forum post: Huge server hits

Robert Deaton false.hopes at gmail.com
Tue Jul 12 17:32:13 GMT 2005

The best place to point people is:

A) To WP-Cache over staticize reloaded. Staticize reloaded has some
shortfallings in being a normal plugin as opposed to using the
advanced cache interface. Specifically, the advanced plugin interface
is loaded before any database interface is loaded, before the tens of
thousands of lines in the wp-includes directory, etc.

B) If for some reason, they refuse a caching plugin, to LightPress,
the lightweight frontend to WordPress, as it generates far fewer
queries and shortens various things (at the expense of some features
that not everyone uses, but aren't normally used anyways).

On 7/12/05, Podz <podz at tamba2.org.uk> wrote:
> Jason Bainbridge wrote:
> > For a site like that you NEED a dedicated server to begin with and
> > thenn you need to look at doing things like serving images using a
> > light weight webserver to spread the load amongst other things.
> >

> To be fair to them - having chatted a lot to them since I posted
> initially, this started as something very small, between mates type
> thing but somewhere it caught the imagination and they have been running
> after it since. No doubt the bandwidth costs will clobber them soon enough.
>
> Still... as an extreme test given the circumstances, I think it ranks
> pretty highly ? We do get questions about server load in the forums and
> we are - as yet - unable to give definitive answers. Not that this does,
> but those issues are not answerable. Unless someone wants to take a shot ?
>
> P.

--Robert Deaton
http://somethingunpredictable.com