[wp-hackers] 500 euros for WP + plugins

David House dmhouse at gmail.com
Sat Jul 9 10:18:20 GMT 2005

On 7/9/05, Matt Mullenweg <m at mullenweg.com> wrote:
> I'm curious how people feel about this:
>
> http://www.semiologic.com/projects/sem-theme-pro/

I guess its his perogative to do so, given that WP is open source.
It's interesting that it's not a full fork, rather an enhancement that
Denis has made. I'm not against the idea of someone making money off
their own work, but it does seem somewhat against the spirit of open
source to develop privately and not let the benefits of their work
flood into the community. I guess Denis doesn't plan to release his
source of his Pro code, and whilst he's entitled to do so, I think WP
would have benefited more if Denis had developed this within the
community.

But then, other things beyond the community are important, too. This
isn't going to hurt WP, and if it helps Denis pay his bills, then I'm
fine with it.

--
-David House, dmhouse at gmail.com, http://xmouse.ithium.net