[wp-hackers] User Capabilities

Rob Lanphier robla at robla.net
Fri Jul 1 06:41:34 GMT 2005

Very cool!  As far as the backwards compatibility mechanism goes, I was
thinking it might be smart to map things the other direction as well,
creating capabilities with names like "level1", "level2", etc, so that
chunks of code like this:

if ($user_level >= 6)

...can be replaced with this in a semi-automated fashion:

if ($current_user_can('level6')

...or keeping with the natural language feel of things:
current_user_can('dolevel6stuff')

...and then, of course, give level 6 users the "level1" through "level6"
capabilities.

Regardless, I like the fact that this moves toward something that aligns
well with other applications out there, and moves it closer to full RBAC
without introducing a ton of complexity.

Rob