[wp-hackers] Interim Updates

Ryan Boren ryan at boren.nu
Sun Feb 27 00:44:41 GMT 2005

On Sat, 2005-02-26 at 23:23 +0000, Mike Little wrote:
>On Sat, 26 Feb 2005 15:35:45 -0700, Chris Coggburn <chris at coggburn.us> wrote:
>> Kind of a deviation of the norm though, isn't it?
>>

>It depends on who's norm. It is perfectly natural for me to create a
>branch to support a previous release and to use the trunk for ongoing
>development work. I do this on all my projects. In fact I've been
>doing it for 15 years.

Same here, but only for 13 years.  Ongoing development always happens on
the trunk.  That's why it's the trunk.

Some branch strategies use feature branches that eventually merge back
to the trunk to form the next major release, but we don't do that.  I'm
not fond of that strategy since it is very heavyweight and creates lots
of sync/merge work.  However, even in that strategy bug fixing for
previous releases happens in branches, not on the trunk.  The reason
we're still using trunk for 1.5.1 bug fix work is because we haven't
opened 1.6 development.

Ryan