[wp-hackers] The Dashboard Needs Attention

Roy Schestowitz r at schestowitz.com
Sat Dec 31 07:45:51 GMT 2005

_____/ On Sat 31 Dec 2005 03:39:00 GMT, [Ryan Duff] wrote : \_____

> Rob wrote:
>>>  why not also put in an option by which a person can turn this thing off?
>>
>> I always wondered about that, it seems a weird thing not to have as
>> a preference. I hate the Dashboard, I'd much prefer it to go
>> straight to the post screen (like it did in 1.2, iirc?).
>>

> Not to mention, there is STILL a delay when it loads (every time I
> try to go to the admin side) while I wait for it to try and update.
> It always did annoy me that I had to wait 5-10 seconds every time I
> went in just to wait for something I never read refresh.
>
> Something to forward to the post screen would be nice, or the option
> to turn it off. What about doing it after it loads like the pings do
> when posting in 2.0? Show the cached feed still when you log in and
> once the page is loaded it can check for the feeds and update them so
> next time you hit the dashboard its up to date?
>
> Yes, it won't be up to date the first time you log in after 2 weeks,
> but how many people actually read it anyway? What percentage of hits
> do the people listed on planet get from somebody's dashboard?

Once  the cookies are in place, just bookmark (or add to your portal)  the
following two links:

http://<site>/wp-admin/post.php
http://<site>/wp-admin/edit.php

I  have done this for a long time on several installations because it  im-
proves  efficiency. I do the same with cPanel, among other tools, in order
to  avoid  gateway  pages. If you have users, insist that they  use  those
links or simply hide the usual paths.

Roy

--
Roy S. Schestowitz
  7:40am  up 20 days 14:51,  14 users,  load average: 0.69, 0.71, 0.71