[wp-hackers] Importing custom format into WordPress

David House dmhouse at gmail.com
Fri Dec 30 14:50:53 GMT 2005

On 30/12/05, Elliotte Harold <elharo at metalab.unc.edu> wrote:
> That may work. How much does this do? Are comments, categories and URLs
> kept intact?
>
> How does it handle embedded markup? RSS2 doesn't include any HTML tags.
> I don't want to lose all the HTML.

You should look at wp-admin/import/rss.php. Having a look through the
code, it looks like:

* All posts are imported (obviously)
* All categories that are attached to at least one post will be
imported. However if you have any extra metadata here like category
description, that won't be carried across.
* Embedded markup is fine, just stick it in a <content:encoded> tag.
There is a fallback to <description>, and I can't see any reason why
embedded markup wouldn't work here either.
* URLs won't be carried across, but it should be possible to set up a
set of rewrite rules which will emulate your old URL schema.
* Users, etc. won't be copied.
* One sticking point is that I can't see anywhere where comments are
copied. I'm not sure what the best solution is here.

--
-David House, dmhouse at gmail.com, http://xmouse.ithium.net