[wp-hackers] Trac Spam Attack Round Four

Robert Deaton false.hopes at gmail.com
Thu Dec 29 15:06:48 GMT 2005

On 12/29/05, Scott Merrill <skippy at skippy.net> wrote:
> Robert Deaton wrote:
> > http://trac.wordpress.org/timeline
> >
> > This is round number four (that I've seen.) I've already cleaned 3,
> > and I've contacted Matt about it via IRC and e-mail three times, and
> > still the same exact user has not been banned.
> >
> > I'm hoping that this mail more brings attention to the fact that there
> > is spam there than anything else. Normal users can't clean it up like
> > those with Trac access, so there isn't really a point in trying unless
> > you're Scott or Mark, but maybe the rest of you can help me light a
> > fire under Matt so we can actually get something done.
>
> I hereby official request more bug gardeners to be promoted.  My own
> participation has been less than adequate.  I will happily bequeath my
> own bug gardener status to someone else, too, if that's what it takes.

I have the same permissions as you on Trac, but it is still not enough
to ban users. I agree that bugs need to be cleaned up faster, but we
don't need more people with Trac access solely for fighting off spam.
If the user was banned in the first place, it will probably be months
before we see another attack.

--
--Robert Deaton
http://somethingunpredictable.com