[wp-hackers] WordPress 2.0 Permalinks and lighttpd

Rob powzor at gmail.com
Sat Dec 24 00:33:34 GMT 2005

Robert Deaton wrote:
> I've been using WordPress with lighttpd for some time with no
> problems. Up until now, I was using 1.5.2 on my site, with the patch
> by michel_v from a few months back that let /archives/ work via the
> 404 method. 2.0 however, breaks this patch, and makes it entirely
> unclear as to what to do to fix it, since all of this server stuff is
> voodoo. If anybody has any ideas, I'd greatly appreciate them, I've
> been fiddling with this for the past few weeks to no avail. Here's a
> list of things that do and don't work
>
> These work:
> Individual posts:
> http://somethingunpredictable.com/archives/18/12/2005/philadelphia-wordpress-and-webloggers-meetups/
> Pages:
> http://somethingunpredictable.com/contact/
> Archives by day (I don't think this is the intended behavior though):
> http://somethingunpredictable.com/archives/13/
>
> Doesn't work:
> Archives by month and year.
> http://somethingunpredictable.com/archives/03/2005/
>
> My permalink structure is: /archives/%day%/%monthnum%/%year%/%postname%/
>
> --
> --Robert Deaton
> http://somethingunpredictable.com

I don't know about anyone else, but that totally doesn't make sense to
me - the month isn't a sub-entry of the day, for example; you have days
within months within years.

The intended (and logical) behaviour is like this (which works on your
site):

http://somethingunpredictable.com/archives/2005/09/

You go from the most generic to the most specific; if you had
/archives/13/, how does it know whether to select entries from the 13th
of March, the 13th of August, or the 13th of November? There's only one
2005, in which there is only one September 2005, in which there is only
one 13th of September 2005. It just doesn't make sense the other way around.

--
Rob Miller
http://robm.me.uk/ | http://kantian.co.uk/