[wp-hackers] Caching of numbers of comments?

Sebastian Herp newsletter at scytheman.net
Thu Dec 22 13:25:25 GMT 2005

Hello list,

wordpress 2.0 RC3 seems to cache a lot of things. Does it cache the
number of comments returned by the "comments_number"-function? Because
that number seems to be displayed wrong in several postings. Why exactly
does this need caching or is this bug not related to the cache?

Example:
http://www.sebbi.de/archives/2005/12/21/premiere-weg-vom-fenster/
The function currently returns "5 comments" while I definetly see 6 ...

P.S.: Does this limited caching really speed things up? Has somebody
measured anything? Serving a page on my blog still takes around half a
second ... half a second to compile some text and links into a
html-page? That's pretty slow ...