[wp-hackers] Any chance of the "Kubrick vs hReview" patch being accepted prior to WP 2.0 release?

Phillip Pearson pp at myelin.co.nz
Tue Dec 20 18:46:50 GMT 2005

On Tue, Dec 20, 2005 at 12:47:09PM -0500, Dougal Campbell wrote:
> >I'm not sure what the proper protocol for this is, but there's a patch
> >I'd like to enourage someone to look at.  It modifies the stylesheet for
> >the default WP template so that it doesn't conflict with the hReview
> >microformat  [...]
>
> I don't have a problem with making the selectors in the Kubrick CSS more
> specific. But couldn't you do the same thing from the other direction,
> to target the hReview elements? E.g.,
>
>   div.hReview .description { /* blah blah blah */ }

You could, although in the case of Kubrick, this would mean unsetting
a bunch of CSS attributes... only, you can't "unset" stuff in CSS,
only set it back to the default, but this then means it won't be
overridden by user stylesheets etc.

> The hAtom microformat is trickier, because this is more of a document
> structure issue.
>
> Nobody ever said that you'd be able to plop any old microformatted
> information info an existing web template and have everything work right
> out of the box. That would certainly be nice, but the Real World always
> has a way of throwing a wrench into the works :)

Yes, definitely.  Microformats unfortunately often conflict with CSS
styling rules.  The microformats folk handwave this away by saying
"fix your CSS", but if you don't control the whole system, this isn't
so easy... thus this thread, patch, etc :-)

> This looks like an opportunity for someone to create a new WordPress
> template with built-in microformat support. I was hoping to revamp my
> site over the holidays with this in mind (i.e. hAtom).

Along those lines, I posted a ticket last night with a patch to add
hAtom support to Kubrick...

Cheers,
Phil