[wp-hackers] Posting still slow

Owen Winkler ringmaster at midnightcircus.com
Wed Aug 31 11:17:16 GMT 2005

Rob Mientjes wrote:
> On 8/31/05, Podz <podz at tamba2.org.uk> wrote:
>
>>I know that - I'm just saying what I think many people will say.
>>Hide it, make it invisible. Do we need to know ? No - those that want to
>>can find out, this discussion is hardly secret, but if it starts saying
>>anything then I think we'll have posts saying "Hey, why is WP rebuilding
>>now?" and even though we are not, the parallel is there.
>
> Good point. We might want it to say something different or make it
> clear that it's a process, not give it the "rebuilding" feeling, but
> an "uploading" feeling. Does that make sense? ;)

Wouldn't it be better to address the delay issue directly?  There is no
reason why the pings must take place at the same time as the posting.

We could check for a flag in the admin header, "Are there posts left to
ping?" and if there are, slip an extra "stylesheet" into the header that
loads a separate ping engine that handles all outstanding pings.

That way, the pinging doesn't affect the post page submission at all,
and has only a minor impact on the subsequent page (since we'd eshcew
this whole shutdown function madness, which seems like a good idea, but
has never worked well for me), even if mod_gzip is enabled.

Owen