[wp-hackers] Haven't installed WordPress yet - run, install.php

Lorelle VanFossen lorelle at cameraontheroad.com
Sat Aug 20 18:09:31 GMT 2005

Thanks for the help. This wasn't a support question as much as a look at
how this happens for future reference. I solved the issue of the install
link sitting there by creating a new index.php from a stripped down
front page version of the site (with no template tags and everything
hard coded) and replacing the index.php to that with a note that said
"site down".

I will be working something up about this for the Codex, but it got me
thinking about a work around for when this happens due to a server
glitch or some other issue that required TIME before the fix was
available. Having a second php file that was a stripped down version of
a note that says "Site Under Repair or Construction", something really
vague and editable, and adding a link to the error that says, "If the
problem is known and you are awaiting a resolution or solution, click
this button to post a public note to your users that the site is under
repair and will be active again soon." Then the link would initiate a
renaming of the index.php to indexback.php and indexrepair.php to
index.php with the message in it.

Probably more than WordPress wants to do, but you never know where a
good idea may come from. For the two days my site was down because of
the server's lack of foresight that their little "force you to change
passwords" caused, this would have been really handy. And it might be
handy for those who are waiting for help from the forum but need
something to entertain the visitors.

Lorelle