[wp-hackers] Enable Sending Referrers

Mark Jaquith mark.wordpress at txfx.net
Tue Aug 16 02:42:03 GMT 2005

David Chait wrote:

> Yeah, wouldn't some server-generated hash code (like some of the
> comment-spam plugs use) be a MUCH better/safer verification technique?
>
>>> Matt Mullenweg:
>>>
>>> POST is spoofable with JS, we've been over this already.
>>

>> and sending referrals isn't?

Well, I don't know of any way to spoof a referral for someone else.  I
don't think JS can do it.  So, you can't both spoof a referral and have
someone appear to be logged in.  Still, referrals are a pain.  My
SideKick doesn't send 'em, so I can't do many WP functions on-the-go.
Many routers strip them out.

I think a unique hash method might work nicely.  md5() the DB password +
post/comment ID.  What are the downsides to this method?

--
Mark Jaquith
http://txfx.net/