[wp-hackers] Enable Sending Referrers

Nathan White changereality at gmail.com
Sun Aug 14 00:28:01 GMT 2005

When using the admin controls I couldn't seem to get around this error
message:

"Sorry, you need to enable sending referrers for this feature to work." I
even went to the codex page that discusses the proper settings in your
browser, nothing has worked. What would prevent my install from detecting
the referrer?

As a temp fix I made the following modification inside the "
admin-functions.php"

function check_admin_referer() {
$adminurl = strtolower( get_settings('siteurl') ) . '/wp-admin';
$referer = strtolower( $_SERVER['HTTP_REFERER'] );
if ( !strstr($referer, $adminurl) )
// die(__('Sorry, you need to <a href="
http://codex.wordpress.org/Enable_Sending_Referrers">enable sending
referrers</a> for this feature to work.'));
$referer = "localhost";
do_action('check_admin_referer');
}

any explanation would be welcomed.