[wp-hackers] Rewriting search URL

Matthew Thomas mpt at myrealbox.com
Sun Apr 24 19:26:05 GMT 2005

Matthew Mullenweg wrote:

>> They don't really cost that much more than any other dynamic page in
>> WordPress, if at all.

Sure, but I wasn't talking about how much they cost WordPress. I was
talking about how they generate irrelevant search results in external
search engines. You might get more hits (and who'd say no to extra
traffic, right?:-), but most of the extra people won't be getting
anything like what they wanted.

>> I could see permanent search URIs being useful
>> as aggregators across different categories for a topic.

Which the "?" equivalent could do just as well.

>> I like how www.a9.com does it as well. (I use them as my primary
>> search engine  now.)

<META NAME="ROBOTS" CONTENT="NOINDEX, NOFOLLOW, NOARCHIVE">

Well, that's one way of fixing it.

> Also I've talked before about how a search result page could be like a
> wiki, anyone could edit it and tailor things to their liking, basically
> allowing you to create some exciting community-driven results for
> popular phrases. (This was the original idea behind the bbPress search.)

That wouldn't alter the problem, unless you're suggesting that the
majority of search results will contain original user-contributed text
that's not in any of the results themselves.

--
Matthew Thomas
http://mpt.net.nz/