[wp-hackers] Making it better

Kimmo Suominen kim at tac.nyc.ny.us
Thu Apr 21 19:01:24 GMT 2005

On Thu, Apr 21, 2005 at 07:48:55PM +0100, Podz wrote:
> 5. Forum help. Dead right, and Craig and I have been saying this for a
> LONG time. newbie ? no problem. Middle-ish problem ? Okaaay if we've
> seen it before and remember. Deeper ? not a chance unless a coder
> wanders in. Those I have flagged up to this list have been looked after
> (Thanks !) but I could do that every day - and then that defeats the
> object as they would be ignored. the amount of help that Kaf, MdaWaffe
> (and others) have given is amazing.

Just an idea:

In the NetBSD Problem Report (PR) system, there is a number of people
who go through incoming PR's.  They then assign them to the "appropriate"
developers to look at.  For example, I maintain 45 software packages in
pkgsrc (the packaging system used by NetBSD, but also supporting Linux,
Solaris, Irix, HP-UX etc.).  Any PR's for those packages get assigned to
me.  That's part of the "contract" I've made by listing myself as the
maintainer of the packages.

Translated to WP terms, we could have people volunteer for specific areas
that they are familiar with, and get alerted about issues in those areas.

For example, by chance I've noticed a couple of threads about plugins I've
written, and I've responded.  But since I spend very little time on the
forums in general, I may have missed who knows how many others.  However,
I'd be more than happy to field questions and issues about my plugins, if
I was notified about them.

Regards,
+ Kim
--