[wp-hackers] Making it better

David Chait davebytes at comcast.net
Thu Apr 21 18:20:30 GMT 2005

To start, I want to respond to lokjah directly:

Part of the problem is having someone try to describe something textually.
It just doesn't work.  Being unable to provide a URL makes it
nigh-impossible for people to >easily< help.  That's just my 2c.  I
 >couldn't< grasp what was going on.  And I'm one of the people who has
offered up becoming a 'shadow admin' for a few days, to help people work out
theme problems, plugin issues, simple php code, etc.  Sometimes it only
makes sense when you see the site, sometimes it doesn't make sense until you
see the CODE. ;)

Also, I agree with your notes about bbPress to some extent.  It's not just
bbPress, it might also be 'categorization', having more sections to put
questions into.  But it's missing the 'watch a thread' feature many other
bb's have (PLEASE, don't tell me again to subscribe to an rss feed...), and
while it 'looks nicer' than most bb's, it also fits fewer total thread
titles on screen at once.  And yes, there's the 'bump' tendency because of a
number of the preceding topics.

To the main topic:

I think that adding a 'templating language' is BS.  That's people thinking
that they aren't programming, but they still are.  It just goes to slow
things down more.

HOWEVER, the idea we've discussed previously of 'meta templates' that can
have some sort of 'blocks' for 'what goes where', you pick a 'module', say
where it goes (main content, left sidebar, right sidebar, header, footer,
whatever) via a web interface and not PHP, and that'll handle a lot of
complete non-coder issues.

Another thing to remember is that while people are running from the paid
blog tools, they are running TO an unpaid, open-source tool.  I for one have
put in a ton of time on plugin development and support, trying to be a
'second hand' in the forums, but it's not my 'job'.  I don't get paid.
There's not a staffed company running things.  Community work can get to the
level where it can be MORE effective than a full company (i.e., linux), but
wait, even those community projects many times have paid corporation
employees working on modules, or committing patches, etc.  Just a different
world.

This all comes back around to a question I asked a year ago: What does WP
want to BE?  If it wants to be the be all end all of CSS and semantic
publishing, it's not necessarily going to be the blog tool for the masses
(not that one prevents the other, but...).  What is the goal?  If the goal
IS to become a premiere blog tool, then maybe there needs to be some thought
into what that means.  What functionality is easy in MT/et.al. that in WP is
difficult?  What things would make WP >easy< for the non-coder?  What
'levels' of users are there, and how do you do a good job of supporting each
group?

Just brainstorming,

-d