[wp-hackers] post_content_filtered

Mark Jaquith mark.wordpress at txfx.net
Tue Apr 19 23:05:58 GMT 2005

denis at semiologic.com wrote:

>I noticed this 'post_content_filtered' column in the posts table. It doesn't
>appear to be used anywhere in wp. Is this a remnant of a past version of wp,
>something a plugin installed on my site, something else...?

I have used it to apply all "the_content" filters to the content and
then store the filtered output.  This is what TextPattern does (or did,
last time I checked).  Some filters are VERY expensive to run realtime.
Textile 2 in PHP is a monster... so much so that your main page or
monthly archives may refuse to load on some servers.  So what you can do
is have the Textile 2 filter run when you edit or publish an entry, and
then you'll just directly output the processed content.

I did some work on a plugin that someone wrote last year that did this:

http://persson.cx/archives/2004/06/15/prerendering-in-wordpress/

If you're running Textile 2 or another expensive text-processing engine,
it could make your pages load a lost faster.

- Mark Jaquith