[wp-hackers] 1.5.1 Release

Mike Little journalized at gmail.com
Tue Apr 19 09:50:38 GMT 2005

On 4/19/05, Peter Westwood <peter.westwood at ftwr.co.uk> wrote:
> When the devs feel that 1.5.1 is ready for release tag and package a release candidate - e.g. wp-1.5.1-rc1 and add
> this to the download page alongside the current release with a note to say that that it is a release candidate for the
> next release and is hopefully bug free - as the early user easy win bug fixes come in and are fixed new release
> candidates wp-1.5.1-rc2, wp-1.5.1-rc3 etc can be tagged and packaged.
>
> Then once you are happy that you have a golden final final 1.5.1 release tag the wp-1.5.1 release and package uplod
> and announce.

Absolutely!
May I also suggest that the download be named something other than
latest.zip/latest.tar.gz? Because then one 'latest' looks exactly the
same as another! I ended up with 2 version of latest.zip and one
latst.tar.gz all different sizes and no idea which was the one to use.

I understand about keeping a consistent url, but perhaps use Apache
re-write to 302 to the real one eg.
Redirect seeother /latest.zip
http://wordpress.org/downloads/wordpress-1.5-strayhorn.zip

Redirect seeother /latest.tar.gz