[wp-hackers] Usability Expert Review

Jeff Minard jeff at jrm.cc
Mon Apr 18 01:05:41 GMT 2005

Some pretty good suggestions. However, "Rename the ‘Post slug’ box."
doesn't jive with me. I would say that falls under "learning" curve.
There is not going to be a concise phrase that will accurately describe
what that bit of text does to a new user.

"While the visual design and presentation of WordPress is
excellent, the use of color has not been maximized."

I'm kinda in line with this, but I might also suggest that if menus were
restructured, that *icons* were used as well. I like little 'notepads'
next to the 'new post' button, or a 'checkbox' next to 'options'. The
visual clues of icons are much quicker to pick out than text.

"But it is likely that users are going to be most interested in
recent activity on their blog when they log in (i.e. recent posts,
recent comments)."

Gotta agree on this one. I think it's *very* likely that your own blog
is more important that the 'recent happnings' out in the WP'sphere. (Add
my personal greivance to this that if you haven't logged in for a while,
the updating process for the dashboard page makes it take 10-30 seconds
to go from clicking "Login" to actually seeing the page.)

"Implement a ‘theme package’ system,"

I think that is in the works...

"Include a photo gallery feature in the default installation to
allow novice users to publish their photos easily."

No. This a blog. No a photoblog. Not a gallery. If anything the "Upload"
section could do with a better file browser so that people could upload
images, browse through, pick one, copy/paste the url for it.

"It is not possible to create a new category when writing a
new post."

++ Bugged me for a while. Just a single textarea at the end of the
category list would do the trick. But definately needed.

"When listing posts, the post ID is the first column in the
table. This is not very useful information to help users
scan the table. Show the name of the post in the first
column of the table."

But don't take the post-id away, I do actually use that as a reference
once in a while.

Ok then, all done.

Jeff