[wp-hackers] deleting a user, save posts by him

Mark Jaquith mark.wordpress at txfx.net
Thu Apr 7 14:11:52 GMT 2005

Amit Gupta wrote:

> I'd say, at present we are referencing a post to an author by linking
> to his id in the database.
> what if we add another field called Nick Name to the posts table? the
> NickNames don't change
> often, & whenever one changes, the changes can be applied to all the
> posts? I know that this
> can be a bit more resource intensive if the user has many hundreds of
> posts but that's
> all I can think of at the moment.
> So by this, if the user is deleted, then that doesn't effect his posts
> as the name of the author
> is not picked from the users table but from the posts table itself.

That would be very poor database form.  If you wanted to change that
author's name, you'd have to change it in ALL of their posts.  What's
the problem with reducing level to 0?  It takes up less space that this
sentence I'm typing right now.  It doesn't clutter the interface,
because level 0 authors aren't in the "Authors" section, but below in
their own "Users" section.  I don't see the downside.