[wp-hackers] Trackback Spam Fix

Mark Jaquith mark.wordpress at txfx.net
Wed Apr 6 12:40:07 GMT 2005

Elliott Bäck wrote:

> As far as I know, the trackback form doesn't verify that the trackback
> URL resolves to the host IP sending the trackback, which in my opinion
> and experience, is the cause of most or all of the trackback spam
> currently getting posted.  I know that in theory trackback can be send
> by a server of behalf of someone else, but I know of very few
> implementations that work that way.

Another good thing to do is to check the sending URI to see if there is
a link to the TBed page.  I know it isn't technically required, but a
lot of people consider it to be a form of "quasi-spamming" when other
bloggers Trackback without linking.  Spam Karma 2 currently does that
check, but the IP check might be just as effective.