[wp-hackers] Theme and Plugin Integration

Jeff Minard jeff at jrm.cc
Sun Apr 3 20:16:05 GMT 2005

Owen Winkler wrote:
> I've attached a core patch that will let theme developers add multiple
> "Requires:" header lines to themes.  This will allow WordPress to
> display what plugins are required for that theme and detect whether a
> function from that plugin (thus, the whole plugin) is available.  The
> format of the header line is:
>
> Requires: function_name plugin_url description

This is a great idea as it would allow us to continue the separation of
theme/plugin directories. However...

> Please take a minute to consider what including plugin code with a theme
> denies the plugin authors - the only real incentive for their work, credit.

You're totally correct. By packageing plugins within a theme, the theme
author is likely to recieve credit for a plugins functionality unless
they are very explicit in their declaration of who made what on the
download page.

And I don't care. (And I make plugins, not themes)

This is not about ego boosting plugin authors; the solution of bundling
plugins with themes is focused on the end user experience. One of the
overriding goals of WP as a product is that it's easy to use *for
anyone*. Allowing themes to package various plugins would allow theme
authors to take advantage of a lot of extra WP features, while still
making the process of using that theme very easy for the end user (at
any technical level).

Your proposition, however, has users getting a theme, reading a bunch of
technical info and bouncing from site to site to get the various things
they'd need and in the end quite possibly saying, "Fuck it" and going
back to Kubrick because it was "click and work".

*My* incentive for producing plugins is to give back to the WP community
which has given me so much.

Jeff