[wp-hackers] IIS Problem

Amit Gupta amit at igeek.info
Sat Apr 2 21:53:27 GMT 2005

ok, maybe this is not the v1.5.1 stuff if you plan to use a pre-made class for this, but yes, a patch with a function_exists() would be welcome so that it can plug the problem that came up with podz & give a message that WP won't be able to send any emails due to mail() function not available.

besides, I wasn't thinking about the UI in the admin panel for this. I just thought that for now we can do with some config in the wp-config.php in CONSTANTS storing the SMTP info & the user's wish to use SMTP or mail().

-----
Amit Gupta

|| Canned!! -- my Atropine || iG:Syntax Hiliter v2.01 ||
|| iGEEK.INFO || Free Nokia Ringtones || Online Gaming @ Games Planet ||

---------- Original Message from ryan at boren.nu ----------

On Sun, 2005-04-03 at 00:50 +0530, Amit Gupta wrote:

> This should be on the must have list for the next release, its not
> that difficult to implement. A function to send mail can be created,
> like wp_mail() which will accept headers, etc. which the mail()
> function accepts & this new function will check if the mail()
function
> is available or if the user has set the option to use smtp in the
> config file. It'll then send mail through the mail() function or
> through smtp, accordingly.
>
> using a PEAR class would be overkill I'd say!! besides not everyone
> has PEAR, I haven't got it installed, I don't use it, but use some
> PEAR classes by directly including them in my apps. Maybe Ryan can
> answer this topic, if he's around & reading this, Matt is not around,
> that we all know.

There are a number of php mail classes that will perform SMTP auth and
what not.  There's the PEAR stuff, phpmailer, etc.  We need to audition
them and pick one that is light and license compatible with WP.  Then
we
need to add settings to the UI, add the options to the db, and so
forth.
This is not 1.5.1 material.  For 1.5.1, we can wrap wp_mail() with
function_exists() so that it can be replaced.  Someone can then write a
plugin.  The plugin could be proving ground for an eventual integrated
solution.

Ryan