[wp-forums] Coding user

Jan Dembowski jan at dembowski.net
Sun Mar 9 00:33:50 UTC 2014

andrew nevins wrote:
> You know how we say to people that they were caught in the spam queue? It
> is true because they actually were caught in the spam queue, but we never
> tell them why they are being caught. As in, we never tell someone directly
> that they were doing something slightly negative and were tagged. Should
> we? Maybe if they know the reason why they are being caught they will be
> more understanding (or maybe they won't)?Or maybe this approach has been
> tried before and it didn't work?

I don't think telling the member that they're being mod watched will move the conversation forward but honesty is the best policy. If you want to inform people they're caught in the queue for that reason then please use diplomatic language and escalate to the list if it turns badly.

While I'm 99.44% sure that a moderator had coded that account, until I turned on "Akismet Never Trust" I'm not 100% sure it wasn't the spam filter that added the b'code.

Or it could have been a moderator who didn't add that second option. The user's been abusive before so that's possible.

> Even though we can empathise with him because I'm sure we've all been
> caught in the spam queue and can remember what it's like when you're
> ignorant of any process, I still think his disgruntled posts were pretty
> disgusting. If they were directed at any one person I would probably block
> him.
I wish I'd looked at that member's profile first before replying. Had I seen that I would have just blocked the account.

Let's see how or even if that member replies. If it's more of the same then that account is getting blocked.

Thanks,

Jan Dembowski

P.S. Someday we ought to talk/joke about follow the sun support. What time is it where you are Andrew? It's 7:30 PM in NY. ;)