[wp-forums] Giving WordPress.org permission to publish information publicly

Jan Dembowski jan at dembowski.net
Sat Mar 8 20:10:38 UTC 2014

I'm coding that user as the discussion to delete or edit posts "is what
it is and we are where we are". (Yes, I've no idea what that means
either but it's said to me once a week at least. Weird.)

https://wordpress.org/support/profile/drahcirness

The user opened another post on the topic and re-hashing isn't really
productive. I've deleted that new topic.

Regarding the time limit: I don't think letting members edit their posts
forever is realistic or manageable. Maybe more than 60 minutes but not
forever.

On one occasion someone posted something very rude in reply to someone
else, went back and edited it with "nice" language, repeated, edited,
etc. By the 4th time I saw it and asked the user to cut it out. Each
post was edited well within the timeout period.

Also remember that moderators do occasionally edit out emails, spammy
links, inappropriate language (much thanks to cubecolour for QUACK!
advice). Most members (almost all) are polite and considerate but the
exceptions are really fun to deal with.

It has happened that someone had a good reason to edit a post to remove
info and that was done. But unless it's something like a threat of
violence, stalking, harassment, etc. then it's a good general policy.
Getting into editing for "SEO" reasons should be avoided. It would
quickly become a full time task.

Jan Dembowski

P.S. The time limit, the forum welcome, dealing with these requests
would make a great topic for discussion make/support. If anyone wants me
to I'll post it and we can discuss it there on that blog.
> andrew nevins <mailto:andrew.nevins.misc at gmail.com>
> March 8, 2014 at 1:38 PM
> The time limit currently is a bit harsh. It varies. I've experienced it to
> be around 34 minutes before I couldn't edit my posts. Maybe it's a bug
> that
> it varies.

> March 8, 2014 at 1:18 PM
> No time limit on editing is a possibility, but that could open up a
> whole new can of worms with spam, trolls and other assorted battles
> through back years of posts. -- mark

> March 8, 2014 at 1:14 PM
> This might be the unpopular opinion, but perhaps we should just not not
> have a time limit on editing your own posts. Just sayin'
>

> Mark Ratledge <mailto:mark at markratledge.com>
> March 8, 2014 at 1:13 PM
>
> The legal beagles would have to parse that. But basically, the OP is
> inflating the idea that their post is being published, rather than
> admitting that their original responsibility is to be aware of what
> they are are posting will be public. I would think that WP.orgs
> privacy policy is not the same as the forums' TOS on posting.
> March 8, 2014 at 12:59 PM
> Does WordPress.org forums have to get permission from people to publish
> their forum posts publicly?
>
> Or is the act of that the person sharing information on the public
> WordPress.org forum the equivalent of granting WordPress.org permission to
> post that information publicly?
>
> http://wordpress.org/support/topic/how-to-delete-posts?replies=10

Sent using Postbox:
http://www.getpostbox.com