[wp-forums] Sharing login details to dummy host

esmi at quirm dot net esmi at quirm.net
Wed Mar 5 13:31:42 UTC 2014

on 05/03/2014 12:54 andrew nevins said the following:
> Is it okay for people to share their login details for us to help them, if
> their installation is hosted on a dummy server? E.g. Someone has an issue
> on localhost and they just put their site on any free hosting service to
> get it up and running for us to see, is it then okay for them to share the
> login details to that site?
>
> https://wordpress.org/support/topic/important-problems-with-my-theme?replies=15#post-5304791
>
> Although I am aware that when it gets to the stage that they need someone
> to look into their dashboard they may need more support than this forum can
> give.

I would argue no. Well, not posted to the forum anyway. Can you imagine
how the hosting company would view one of their users posting login
details to a site on their servers on a public forum? Free hosts or
otherwise? It would almost certainly breach their TOS.

If the OP needs that level of 1-to-1 support, then (ideally) they should
be looking at hiring someone. With respect to that particular topic, the
OP seems quite conversant with using Pastebin, so, in theory, that
should be sufficient.

I appreciate that it can sometimes be really frustrating when you think
it would take you about 3 mins to fix an issue if you had a login but
that's just one of the downsides of support. As with plugin devs asking
for FTP access, logging into a site would make you responsible for that
site. If you made changes and something bad happened a little later,
then it would be (or at least look like) your fault. And that's
something we need to avoid.

Mel
--
http://quirm.net