[wp-forums] Being a moderator

Half-Elf on Tech ipstenu at halfelf.org
Wed Jun 18 18:04:19 UTC 2014

You don't need to be a mod to do that. A lot of the best people in the
community, who are helpful and communicate wonderfully, aren't.

I mean ... Are you sure? Being a moderator means you have more
responsibility, more work, and more grief slung at you. It doesn't
magically change your standing in the community, it just means we expect
you to be kind and friendly and welcoming AND clean up spam and stop
fights. You'll also be expected to know when and how to ask for help, to
not get into arguments yourself, and above all, be a good person in a storm.

It's a volunteer job, you may never EVER get thanked, ever, by anyone
other than other mods. You may get 'followed home' by people angry you
deleted expletives from a post.

Being a moderator is work, plain and simple, and it's not for everyone.
Even if you're not a moderator, if you're answering questions and
helping people, then YOU are a valued member of the community, and we
love you already.

People who want to be a mod just because they want to help are kind of
missing the point. You're already helping :) There's nothing magical
about being a mod that changes that, it just changes the level of abuse
people give you :/