[wp-forums] Policy??

Otto otto at ottodestruct.com
Tue Jun 17 23:08:39 UTC 2014

Dot 07:

Hi! I'm Otto, and I removed the conversation, and I emailed you about the
issue as well. But if you want to hash it out in public, cool.

First, no, what you said is not true. And you quoted me to back it up too,
which is actually pretty funny to me. Essentially, you took my words out of
context from the conversation we had.

Originally, several of the reviews on your plugin were removed for
sockpuppetry. I don't know which moderator removed them, and it really
doesn't matter. When you asked the plugins team about it, I investigated
and found that there was indeed evidence of sockpuppetry. Many reviews were
left from identical IP addresses. Many of them were from accounts created
within minutes of each other. And so forth. Sock puppets were indeed
created and used to leave reviews on your plugin.

Now, in that sweep that some moderator took, they deleted a number of
reviews all at the same time. Anything that looked "fake". This happened
solely because of the sock puppetry that occurred. Some of these reviews,
as you showed me, were legitimate and real reviews. I reinstated those.

However, apparently you are taking my attempt to explain these mistakes to
you as some kind of statement of policy. This is not actually the case. I
was simply attempting to explain how the issue occurred.

As I stated to you in previous emails, when a moderator (who is a human
being) is seeing sock puppets leaving reviews, then they are going to look
at all the reviews. If they see a review which says very little, and which
is on an account that was created at the same time as the review was left,
and it gives it 5 stars, *and the moderator has already found real sock
puppet accounts*, then yes, it's likely that they would delete that review.

This is not a statement of policy, this is a statement of human behavior.

Moderators are people, not robots. They don't "implement policy", they
moderate the forums according to their standards of right and wrong and
good and evil.

So yes, I removed your posts stating what you thought our "policy" was, and
I removed the conversation you had with esmi because it was inappropriate
to have that conversation in somebody else's plugin review thread.
Regardless, you are mistaken about our policy, and esmi was correct to try
to point that out to you. This is not an attempt to hide anything, but an
attempt to correct misinformation that you are spreading on our forums and
to our users.

Additionally, please do not post private email correspondence on the forums
without permission. Normally, we straight up ban people for doing that, but
since you actually quoted me, and I don't really mind a whole lot, I'm
letting it go. Nevertheless, you need permission to quote somebody else's
email, at least you do on our forums.

-Otto