[wp-forums] Using non-GPL licensed WordPress.org themes

Amy Hendrix sabreuse at gmail.com
Mon Jun 2 14:15:37 UTC 2014

Licensing only really exists for distribution. I can say that the
thing on my own site is under the "my cat will shoot laser eye-beams
at you" license and it doesn't mean a damn thing until I try to sell
it to someone else.

Note, that doesn't mean that I condone changing the license on a theme
that you don't actually own the rights for. Aside from being utterly
meaningless (and 100% NEVER going to stand up in any kind of legal
challenge), it's, let's just say, kind of jerky. But the reasons for
our policy on non-support come down to 1) wanting to support a theming
community that reflects WP philosophy (where what he's doing sucks on
philosophy, but it has absolutely no impact on the rest of the
community) and 2) practical reasons to do with access to their code
(which is freely available in the repo anyway)

Disclaimers: I don't make these policies. And my cat doesn't actually
have lasers THAT I KNOW OF.