[wp-forums] Using non-GPL licensed WordPress.org themes

Amy Hendrix sabreuse at gmail.com
Mon Jun 2 13:54:18 UTC 2014

Legally speaking, no, they can't change the license -- only the actual
copyright owner (that is, the theme author) can do that. However, it's
a silly thing they did in their own copy of the theme for their own
site, so it's not like they're trying to distribute a relicensed copy.
I don't see that it should make one bit of difference to whether they
can get support or not, any more than we'd refuse support because
someone had changed the color of their left sidebar.