[wp-forums] Request to edit .ORG profiles

Chip Bennett chip at chipbennett.net
Wed Jul 16 14:15:37 UTC 2014

I think the assumption that the WordPress *support* forums should care or
bother with SEO is wrong. The support forum exists to bring WordPress users
together with WordPress community volunteers, to help solve user problems.
The point about the support forums being linked in the WP admin area is
relevant because it means that the support forum doesn't need SEO to
accomplish its purpose.

I don't think forum mods should waste their time "fixing" support forum
content on the basis of SEO - whether the SEO impacts the forum itself, or
the site of the user who added the content. Forum mods' time would be
better-spent reiterating to users that the purpose of posting in the forums
is to ask/answer questions about user problems with WordPress, and not to
drive up one's SEO.