[wp-forums] Hoisted by my own petard...

esmi at quirm dot net esmi at quirm.net
Wed Jan 29 14:24:14 UTC 2014

on 29/01/2014 12:43 Jan Dembowski said the following:
> Saw that and laughed too (at the situation not at, well you get it). It
> looks like the problem that user has is with the individual themes and
> plugins documentation so aside from contacting each developer I don't think
> there's much to do.

My gut instinct is still to approach this on a per theme/plugin basis.
It's the only thing that makes sense. What I don't seem to be able to
get over to him is that it can take weeks of using a plugin/theme *for
real* before you can assess whether its documentation covers all
reasonable situations. And even than, you can miss things.

That's why eShop uses a wiki for its documentation as it's far easier to
update it as needed. It's currently weighing in at about 86 pages and I
suspect there's still things I've missed. At the end of the day,
developers really need their users to provide constructive feedback on
documentation if the users think it should be improved.

> I thought it was good of you to suggest that the user review your eShop
> plugin documentation but aside from contacting the Docs team I'm not sure
> what else can be suggested.
> Some of the theme and plugin authors may not want another person writing or
> critiquing their documentation that way.

If it was me, I'd be contacting the dev, mentioning that I had some
thoughts about their documentation and would they be interested in the
feedback. Then walking away from those who didn't reply positively.

Mel
--
http://quirm.net
http://blackwidows.co.uk