[wp-forums] Requests and Feedback isn't How-To and Troubleshooting

Chip Bennett chip at chipbennett.net
Sat Jan 25 17:17:29 UTC 2014

I've posted in-thread, and that comment is the extent that I'm comfortable
with in a public forum. But I think more needs to be said here:

After reading through it, I believe the discussion is valid, and placed in
the appropriate forum (as user feedback). Users have a right to express
complaint and frustration with the core decision to implement minor-version
updates without exposing an option for the end user to override that
decision. I think that telling such a user "I think you need to find a
different CMS" is unreasonably dismissive. Also: hiding comments voicing
such frustration as off-topic, when the entire point of the OP was to
express such frustration, is too heavy-handed.

The core team made the decision, presumably believing that users would all
happily agree that out-of-the-box automatic updates for minor versions
(without any exposed option to disable them) would be perfectly acceptable.
It is appropriate, then, that users have a medium with which to express
disagreement with that decision. Whether the decision eventually changes or
not is another matter; but at least any later decision can be based on
accurate user feedback.