[wp-forums] Timeout room

Otto otto at ottodestruct.com
Sat Jan 11 01:15:15 UTC 2014

This is not aimed at any moderator in particular, it's aimed at all of them.

First, this post:
http://wordpress.org/support/topic/post-images-not-working-1?replies=24

The post had people actively working to solve a problem in it, and it
should not have been closed in the first place. People are creating
new posts and new confusion because we're over-moderating them.

So, hey everybody, let's scale it back just a bit on the enforcement
of the rules here, yeah?

We've been getting a lot more complaints than normal all around. Also,
I'm seeing threads being closed for invalid or no reason, posts being
deleted just because they had bad advice (which is definitely not a
valid use of moderator powers), and just general over-enforcement and
adherence to guidelines.

Not everybody knows the rules, and that's fine. But we don't need to
be so in-your-face about it, or overly confrontational. The sarcasm
has got to stop. The confrontations being created needlessly have got
to stop. People get hostile about this sort of thing, and rightly so.
In their mind, they're the good guy.

So, new guideline: Unless somebody is actively de-railing a
conversation or doing something else that is not-helping, then just
leave it be.

The whole purpose of the support forum is to *help* people, not to
enforce the exact letter of the rules. Do what is best for the users
and the conversation.

-Otto