[wp-forums] Blocked user will not accept being blocked

Jan Dembowski jan at dembowski.net
Wed Feb 12 15:20:56 UTC 2014

That user tried again last night and the plugin author offered to discuss
it away from the forums via email. Which I thought was decent of the author
given that user's post. I think the steam is almost gone from that one.

The new account was still blocked and the new identical topics and replies
deleted this morning.

Jan Dembowski
On Feb 12, 2014 10:16 AM, "Rich Pedley" <elfin at elfden.co.uk> wrote:

> I get nervous when people start talking about IP Bans. They haven't been
> effective for almost as long as I've had net access for. But also the
> chance of blocking the wrong IP and banning half of the user base is
> possible... well that is what happened when someone added the wrong IP on a
> forum I moderate.
>
> (slightly different set up, but you get the idea)
>
> Rich
>
> On 11/02/2014 22:04, Otto wrote:
>
>> IP bans are not very effective, really. Also, that is outside my immediate
>> control, I'd have to ask systems to do something about it for that, and
>> they're frankly very busy as is.
>>
>> However, I have considered putting in something to block "anonymous email"
>> services from registering accounts.
>>
>> It doesn't happen often, but when people start registering multiple
>> accounts like this (aka, being dicks), then it would be nice to just add
>> whatever temp-email provider they're using to a list and prevent it from
>> ever being used again.
>>
>> It is rare that somebody keeps this sort of thing up long term.
>>
>> -Otto
>>

>> On Tue, Feb 11, 2014 at 3:47 PM, Jen Mylo <jenmylo at wordpress.org> wrote:
>>
>>  IP ban was my thought as well. It's fine to ask the /meta team (or Otto)
>>> to nab things like this when there's a repeat offender that is
>>> distracting
>>> from supporting others.