[wp-forums] Blocked user will not accept being blocked

Otto otto at ottodestruct.com
Tue Feb 11 22:33:53 UTC 2014

On Tue, Feb 11, 2014 at 4:18 PM, Ipstenu the Half-Elf
<ipstenu at halfelf.org>wrote:

> Otto, he's using Yahoo, so I don't think that would help in this case
> unless you're proposing blocking Yahoo.

As much as I relish the idea of blocking Yahoo, he's not... Look closer at
the fake accounts. :)

Would it be possible to see "This IP has made X accounts in 12 hours. It's
> a spammer. Auto-b-tag" ? That would catch most serial accounters as they're
> generally not that clever.

We do have a registration speed limit that is based on IP. Sometimes I have
to turn it off for WordCamps. But it's mainly focused on stopping spambot
registration, so the threshold is a bit high. It doesn't b-tag them, it
just blocks them outright with a nice "Registration blocked. Please stop."
message.

I checked, and yeah, that IP has already exceeded it quite a bit more than
would be reasonably expected from a sane person. He stopped creating new
accounts because he actually can't, for right now.

-Otto