[wp-forums] Possible promotion in the forums?

Jan Dembowski jan at dembowski.net
Sat Apr 26 12:47:36 UTC 2014

I changed the subject line, it was messing up my view in the list
archive using the same old subject line. ;)

http://lists.automattic.com/pipermail/wp-forums/

> *Question:* When someone randomly appears in a thread and suggests for the
> original poster - who didn't ask for a theme or plugin suggestion - to use
> such-and-such theme or such-and-such plugin to achieve what they want,
> when
> is the line - simply helping versus 'advertising' - crossed?

That's a solid "It depends" and Andrew is right that we'd need to see
the topic to know. Sometimes the answer is "Hey try this plugin or
theme" but if that's a common routine with a person replying then that's
kinda bot'ish.

If the link to the plugin is commercial and contains an affiliate code
well that's just not allowed.

Thanks,

Jan Dembowski