[wp-forums] policy on advertising your own plugin?

Jan Dembowski jan at dembowski.net
Sun Sep 29 16:14:52 UTC 2013

On Sun, Sep 29, 2013 at 12:02 PM, Patrick Nommensen wrote:

> What's the general policy for advertising your own plugin? This post
> started about a month ago when the NextGEN 2.0 update  caused issues for
> many users. http://wordpress.org/support/**topic/problem-after-updating-**
> to-nextgen-gallery-20?replies=**8#post-4705067<http://wordpress.org/support/topic/problem-after-updating-to-nextgen-gallery-20?replies=8#post-4705067>

Zapped and I've put the author in the timeout room just to keep an eye on
him. If he's good I'll remove the code tomorrow.

It's perfectly fine to advertise your plugin and you are encouraged to do
so.

http://codex.wordpress.org/Plugin_Submission_and_Promotion#Promoting_and_Documenting_your_Plugin

But fishing in NGG topics that are a month old? That's in bad taste at best
and that't why I deleted that post. That was just an ad and was not
contributing to that old topic.

> I also noticed that the plugin author gave his plugin 5/5 stars:
> http://wordpress.org/support/**topic/simple-and-stylish-1<http://wordpress.org/support/topic/simple-and-stylish-1>

That part is fine. When people view that review they'll see the green
banner. Hold please while I raise my voice.

*Takes deep breath* OY! OTTO! FEATURE REQUEST! Ahem.

Can we get the green author/contributor label on the review page too? It
shows on the post but not on the consolidated reviews page. That way people
looking at the reviews can quickly identify which ones are from the author
and contributors.

Thanks,

Jan Dembowski