[wp-forums] FYI: Stupid new GoDaddy server rule

Otto otto at ottodestruct.com
Thu Sep 26 15:56:28 UTC 2013

On Thu, Sep 26, 2013 at 10:50 AM, Jan Dembowski <jan at dembowski.net> wrote:
> I've reached out via email to that GoDaddy account but I'm not holding my
> breath. I have a feeling that someone at that hosting company said "Yeah!
> That's a great idea! Let's do that!"
>
> I mean, that would sound better than *"What's that button do? I'm sure it
> will be fiiiinnneee."...*

I left GoDaddy hosting when they started blocking some of my posts
from being served. It was accidental, but on a level of stupid that I
had not seen before.

Essentially, they put in some filtering mechanism that instantly
dropped any connection which sent or received this character sequence:
"eval(base64_decode". This applied to every form of IP connection,
near as I can tell. FTP, web, ssh, everything. So my posts with
samples of (nerfed) bad code got blocked too.

Note that sending "eval (base64_decode" worked fine. They have a funny
definition of "security" over there.

-Otto