[wp-forums] Support lead at Contributor Day

Mika A Epstein ipstenu at ipstenu.org
Mon Nov 11 16:34:58 UTC 2013

Yep that's exactly what I did :) I also looked for what the new people
were interested in and tried to pair them up right. Like if someone was
way into Multisite, pair 'em up with someone interested in it :)

Then I spent the time going in a circle around the table, checking in,
asking what they were working on, and either helping them, or telling
them they were awesome :)

> Michael Atkins <mailto:michael at cubecolour.co.uk>
> 11 November, 2013 at 5:11:55AM
> I will be leading the support team at contributor day at WordCamp London
>
> I'm looking for ideas or suggestions to help make this a success for
> everyone who volunteers.
>
> What I have so far:
>
> If volunteers don't already have an account on WordPress.org, their
> first task will be to set one up and look at the 'forum welcome' page.
> Then their main task will be to find topics on the forums they can
> help with, respond appropriately & follow up with subsequent replies.
>
> At WCSF13 I believe Mika paired people of different experience/skill
> levels & gave everyone there a title of "Contributor Day Volunteer" -
> both sound like good ideas.
>
> I'll prepare a reference list of some common issues that come up with
> how to fix/troubleshoot them - for example when a user has locked
> themselves out of their site by changing the WordPress Address & Site
> Address URLs in General Settings, where the best response might be to
> guide the user to the appropriate codex page. Volunteers can find
> unanswered posts with one of these common issues & should be able to
> provide an appropriate response to help the user. I'll also show
> things like how to find unanswered topics and when & why to use the
> 'modlook' tag.
>
> Any other ideas/suggestions?
>
> thanks
>
> Michael Atkins