[wp-forums] Helping out commercial products

Mar Ventus marventus.wp at gmail.com
Sat Mar 2 15:18:24 UTC 2013

Hi Andrew.
I think we've all had that dilemma at some point while helping out in the
forums. I also think it's kind of a personal choice, meaning, no one will
think less of you if you do or don't, and it's not strictly forbidden
(AFAIK) to do so.
On a personal note, the way I see it is that, given the enormous amount of
new threads posted every other minute or so, my time is better spent
helping out people for whom the wp.org forum is their only way of getting
any help with their issues. Premium theme users have, well, a premium
support system they can resort to because they payed for it.
On a probably slightly less personal note (meaning, I think people might
identify with this one to a greater extent), I don't think it is very
ethical for premium theme developers to advertise custom support as part of
their paid service and then expect us kind and wonderful mods and
contributors (heehee) to do all their work. This happens more than prem
devs care to admit, and for the most part, it seems to be the product of
a conscious choice more than an inability to handle demand.
I hope this is somewhat helpful to you, :-)

Marv